Monday, January 17, 2011

The Fabulous, The Ugly and The In-Betweens

Forget about the actual Golden Globes ceremony, the biggest battle is on the red carpet and it all comes down to who wore what! This year, the red carpet came alive with color. Emerald greens, lipstick reds,  feminine nudes/pastels and fun metallics seem to dominate. I personally think the majority of dresses were absolute fashion blunders, but there were a few hits that will surely make you go green with envy.


The Fabulous:


I just can't get over Olivia Wilde's Marchesa gown. What's not to love about it? The hue, embellishment, and over the top tulle equals red carpet success! Don't even get me started on her Louboutin shoes.




I am so glad Angelina Jolie opted to wear some color instead of her usual black. Although green was very popular at this event, she definitely had the best look. This simple yet stunning Versace gown, covered with Swarovski crystals, gave off an old Hollywood elegance that worked perfectly for her.


Another starlet inspired by the old Hollywood style was Dianna Agron. The Glee star looked glamorous in a strapless J Mendel beige gown and soft, romantic curls.



Showing off her curves, Sofia Vergara looked sexy in this red Vera Wang dress.



Anne Hathaway never seems to disappoint on the red carpet. She always manages to look so glamorous and perfectly put together. Here, her Armani Privé gown is stunning and the detailing is impeccable! Can't wait to see her host this year's Oscars!


I'm not usually a fan of Julia Stile's fashion sense, but her ruffled one shoulder Romona Keveza mermaid gown was the best black gown on the red carpet.


January Jones looked hot and sexy in this daring red Versace gown. The gown was actually blue on the runway, but it was recreated in red especially for her!



I loved the vintage vibe that Milla Jovovich gave off in this silver Armani Privé mermaid gown. Her side-swept hairstyle perfectly complimented her gown too! 



Mila Kunis' asymmetrical Vera Wang gown was simply gorgeous. The one shouldered, pleated gown complimented her figure and made her look radiant. Or maybe that's just thanks to her  $7,000 pre-show facial.



The Ugly:

I was shocked to see Natalie Portman wearing this Viktor + Rolf dress, she usually looks so stylish! I know a baby bump is hard to work with but the red rose embellishment killed the dress! It was too distracting and just plain ugly. 


Jennifer Love Hewitt, dressed in a Romona Keveza gown, looked like she belonged on top of a wedding cake.


I bet Helena Bonham Carter wasn't worried about someone showing up with the same look! With her eccentric Vivienne Westwood dress, mismatched shoes and messy hair, Helena looked way too whacky.


Sandra Bullock broke my heart with this look. If you can managed to ignore her heavy helmet bangs, her droopy dress was a major fail. A sad setback from her stunning 2010 Oscar look. 


Boring and disappointing.  Nicole Kidman's Prada choice looked like something out of the 27 Dresses movie.


Heidi Klum managed to make this Marc Jacobs dress look like a Mansoon mess.


Flower Power anyone? Michelle Williams 1960's inspired Valentino was too casual and simply childish. I seriously can't believe this made some of the Best Dressed lists.


Orange dress and an orange tan. Emma Stone, who wore a dress from Calvin Kline Collection,  looked too minimal (and orange) for my taste.


Apparently Christina Aguilera, in Zuhair Murad, was still on a promotional tour for Burlesque.



The combination of the puffy sleeves with the asymmetrical dress and whatever's going on with her necklace left Julian Moore's looking like a total mess with her Lanvin choice. And it's creased.


Isn't Jennifer Lopez (wearing Zuhair Murad) too old for a Quinceanera?


Halle Berry's Nina Ricci dress looked unfinished and too dominatrix for this event.


Catherine Zeta Jones' Monique Lhullier gown looked like a sculpted garden hedge.


Nice dress. Wrong person. Eva Longoria's black Zac Posen gown looked like it was melting on the red carpet... Reminded me of the Wicked Witch of The West.


Tilda Swinton: No comment. (I also can't believe this made some of the Best Dressed lists)



The In-Betweens:

I'm not really sure what I feel about Leighton Meester's Burberry Prorsum dress. It's a bit different from what she usually wears, but is it stylish or simply just drab?


Maybe this Armani Privé dress is beautiful but it came off as tacky on Megan Fox.


 Christina Hendricks would have made my Fabulous list if her hair wasn't getting in the way of the curve hugging Romona Keveza gown.



This look was the most confusing for me. One minute I'm in love with the Elie Saab dress (so elegant and royal) and the next I'm totally hating her overall look (a cross between mother of the bride and the Bride of Frankenstein). Maybe it's her hair... It's too distracting!


Modern Family's Sarah Hyland's, in a nude Max Azria gown, looks unrecognizable. The 20 year old's bangs made her look like she's 35. She should've had more fun with her look.


In love with the color, but the not with Mandy Moore's hair. Her hair cut off the Monique Lhullier gown, which made it hard to see it's actually a one shouldered dress!



On a final note, I was happy to see Michael Douglas was doing well! 



Thoughts? Which looks do you hate/love?




7 comments:

  1. oh I love this! I can't recall ever seeing a red carpet with that many gowns that have sleeves, I think it's such a refreshing change. Anna Hathaway is easily the best dressed. and yay, Angelina wearing a color! Scarlett Johansson's dress would have looked much better with the belt it was styled with on the runway - plus a softer hairdo and brighter makeup.

    Calvin Klein is usually too simple for my taste - hated Claire Dane's dress but I freaking loved Emma Stone's. And I also really liked what Jennifer Lopez was wearing - the shawl was such a nice touch. LOL at your comment about Eva Longoria.

    ReplyDelete
  2. - I can't believe I'm saying this about Sofia Vergara (my ultimate female crush) but her dress seemed like the the lining of a much nicer dress she was meant to wear. (material looked too shiny and cheap)

    - Mila Kunis, Scarlett Johansson and Megan Fox (although her facial pose is a bit weird) were best dressed in my opinion

    - Amazing review and I love your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say my ultimate favorite was Anne Hathaway... She looks gorgeous! I can't wait to see her host the Oscars with James Franco (yummmy!).

    You should have seen what Joan Rivers had to say about the worst dressed on Fashion Police... hahah!

    Don't you just love the awards season? The SAG Awards are on the 30th of this month, and the Academy Awards on the 27th os February! There's also the Grammy's but i don't really care about who wore what to it :)

    Glad you like the blog! Thanks for reading and commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the first dress is so stunning! I thought I couldn't believe my eyes!
    wonderful!!

    http://aliavenue.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hei! I just found your blog and it is amazing!

    I am following your blog and I hope you will follow mine too!

    xoxo,
    Ana

    ReplyDelete